St. Columba is an Orthodox
Parish under the Western Rite Vicariate of the Antiochian Archdiocese
of North America. It is located at 726 N. 119th Street in Lafayette,
Colorado. The parish uses the Liturgy of St. Tikhon, which is a form
of worship reflective of the ancient Anglican tradition.
In 1958 Metropolitan Anthony (Bashir), of the
Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America was authorized by Alexander
III, Patriarch of Antioch to introduce the western Rite, as approved
by the Moscow Synod, into his archdiocese. Since that time a number
of people, individuals and sometimes entire congregations, have become
a part of Holy Orthodoxy through the Western Rite. The use of the Rite
of St. Tikhon restores to its proper place the traditions of worship
and piety characteristic of ancient Orthodox Great Britain.
The Liturgy was approved originally by
the Holy Synod of the Church of Russia at the request of Biship
Tikhon (later to be Patriarch of Moscow and martyred under the
Communists) who was at that time the only Orthodox Bishop in
North America. In 1904 the Synod approved the Liturgy, with certain
modifications, for use by Orthodox Christians in North America.